Best Neurosurgeons in Turkey
Why is the brain and its treatment so complex?
Brain is the most complex organ of our body, in that it acts as a central processing unit of our body. It gathers input from all the sense organs and other body parts, processes it and sends back the response within a fraction of a millisecond. Even after performing thousands of researches, tests and experiments, the human mind is still a mystery to this day. But one thing that has become clear is that any neurological disorder such as trauma, tumor, etc. can severely hamper the functioning of a person’s body. The malfunctioning of even a single nerve can lead to a debilitating condition.
Nerves are the only tissues in our body which have a zero chance of regenerating, as such any damage done to a nerve is permanent and incurable. As such neurosurgery is a very delicate field, where each and every step of the surgeon has to be performed with extreme caution and care, bearing in mind all the consequences that can result from it.
What are the most common indications of a neurological disorder?
Neurological disorders are most often pronounced by all parts of the body. They can be:-
- Idiopathic Pain
- Uncomfortable tingling and burning
- Poor Balance
- Slow reflexes
Why is Turkey considered to be a premium location for neurological treatment?
Turkey is among the premium locations for neurological tourism because:-
- Multiple JCI accredited hospitals
- Highly knowledgeable and talented medical experts
- High success rates
- Affordable Healthcare
- Almost no waiting period
Which are some of the best neurosurgery centres in Turkey?
Some of the best neurosurgery centres in Turkey are:-
- Memorial Sisli Hospital
- Medipol Mega University Hospital
- Hisar Intercontinental Hospital
- American Hospital
- Medicana Camlica Hospital
Why do patients choose to travel for neurological treatment?
I. Prolonged waiting period for the treatment.
II. Expensive treatment rates in home.
III. Low standard of healthcare in home country.
Who are some of the best neurosurgeons in Turkey?
Turkey is one of the biggest centre’s for medical tourism with a great many number of extremely qualified and expert neurosurgeons. Some of them are:
- Dr. Sait Sirin
MD, Professor of Medicine
Medicana International Hospital, Ankara
28 years of experience
- He is one of the most sought after neurosurgeons in Turkey.
- Dr. Sirin did his graduation from Gulhane Military Medical Academy MD School of Medicine, Ankara, in 1985.
- He completed his post graduate studies from the Department of Residency Neurosurgery within Gulhane Military Medical Academy Neurosurgical School of Medicine, Ankara, Turkey in 1994.
- After his postgraduate studies were over, he went on to do a fellowship from the Department of Neurological Surgery, Fellowship Program Pittsburgh, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine in the USA.
- He specializes in brain and nerve surgery, spinal surgery, neuroendoscopy, and spinal endoscopic surgery.
- He is a member of various reputed organizations such as the American Association of Neurological Surgeons (AANS), World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS), International Stereotactic Radiosurgery Society (ISRS), Turkish Neurosurgical Society, Neuro-Oncology Education & Training Group, Stereotactic & Functional Neurosurgery Education and Training Group, Congress of Neurological Surgeons (CNS), Radiosurgery Committee Member (2005-2009), Turkish Spine Society and AOSpine.
- He has published over 30 articles and 30 abstracts in national and international journals, and has also written 10 book chapters.
- Dr. Ugur Ture
Yeditepe University Healthcare Institutions, Istanbul
33 years of experience
- Dr. Ugur is one of the most accomplished and honoured neurosurgeons in Turkey.
- He has received many national and international honors such as:
- "Certificate of Achievement" Şişli Etfal Hospital, Istanbul / 1994
- "Best Medical Research Award" Şişli Etfal Hospital, Istanbul / 1995
- "Best Contributed Paper" NASBS Scottsdale, Arizona, USA / 2000
- "Hamit Ziya Gökalp Young Neurosurgeon Award" Antalya / 2001
- "Certificate of Achievement" Marmara University, Istanbul / 2002
- He specializes in Brain Surgery, Epilepsy Surgery, Tumor Surgery and General Neurosurgery, Cranial Tumor and Vascular Neurosurgery.
- He graduated from Ankara Hacettepe University School of Medicine in 1987 and post graduation from neurosurgical residency program at Şişli Etfal Hospital in Istanbul.
- Following his residency, he went to study surgical neuroanatomy and microsurgery under Professor Yaşargil, in Zurich, Switzerland and Professor Al-Mefty at the UAMS, Little Rock, Arkansas, USA.
- On returning to Turkey, he joined Marmara University, Istanbul and Ondokuz Mayis University in Samsun.
- After gaining sufficient experience, he set up the neurosurgery department at the Yeditepe University Hospital in Istanbul as the Professor and Chairman of the Department of Neurosurgery.
- He developed a new technique regarding ‘white matter dissection’ in 1991 and has been teaching it to other neurosurgeons at workshops and laboratories since then.
- In 2010, he established the “Istanbul Microneurosurgery Course” with his mentor Professor Yaşargil.
- He has served as the President for many national and international Neurosurgical societies such as Turkish Neurosurgical Society, World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS), and has been a member of various societies like “American Academy of Neurological Surgery”, “World Academy of Neurological Surgery,” and “European Academy of Sciences and Arts”.
- He is also a part of the editorial committee of several international research journals like “Neurosurgical Review”, “Operative Neurosurgery” and “Neurosurgery”.
- Dr. Ali Savas
Professor of Neurosurgery
Acibadem Hospitals Group
28 years of experience
- Dr. Savas is one of the most experienced and expert neurosurgeons in Turkey.
- He specializes in movement disorder surgeries such as Parkinson's Disease, tremor, dystonia; pain surgery for conditions like trigeminal neuralgia, cancer pain, neuropathic pain and brain tumor surgery besides general neurosurgery.
- He graduated from Ankara University, School of Medicine, Turkey in 1986.
- After which he received his post graduate neurosurgical training at the Department of Neurosurgery at Istanbul University in 1992.
- After completing his post graduation, he received his doctoral studies in Neuropharmacology and Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery at Freiburg University, Germany.
- His career began at Ankara University, Turkey as an Associate Professor, after which he joined Munich University,Germany in 2006; and the University of Illinois at Chicago, USA in 2012; and University of California, Los Angeles, USA as a visiting professor.
- He won a research prize from European Association of Neurosurgical Societies (EANS) in 2002.
- He is the representative of Turkey at the World Federation of Neurosurgery (WFNS); and a member of the “European Board of Neurosurgery”, WSSFN (World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery” and the European Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery (ESSFN).
- He was awarded the European Research-First Prize in 2012 and serves as a jury member of the "Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD)" scholarships awarded by the German Embassy.
- He has published over 100 research articles, most of which are a part of international journals.
- Prof. Dr. Nejat Akalan
Professor, Doctor of Medicine
Bağcılar Medipol Mega University Hospital
32 years of experience
- Dr. Akalan is one of the most honoured and experienced neurosurgeons in Turkey.
- He specializes in the field of general neurosurgery and pediatric epilepsy surgical treatment.
- He is also an expert at treating glioma, movement disorders, cranial trauma, nervous disorders, spine tumors, brain herniation, etc.
- He received his graduate education from Ankara University, Faculty of Medicine in 1980 and his postgraduate education from Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine in 1986.
- After which, he went to study at University of Michigan, USA.
- He has worked at the Hacettepe University Faculty of Medicine, Department of Neurosurgery since then.
- He has been a part of publishing over 100 research articles in national and international journals.